Thursday, January 26, 2012
Wednesday, January 25, 2012
Thursday, January 12, 2012
This beautiful oasis was literally the first place I ever went in Austin, if only for a second.
After a 20 hour drive from Minneapolis to our first ever SXSW we parked on Congress Avenue to get lunch at Guerro's. As we walked up the street Jenn and I peaked in through this gate. We walked in to a Secret Garden.
I stumbled across Austin Kleon's website while looking for images of sxsw for a work proposal. I found his post titled "SXSW Horoscopes" and I've been transported back to a lovely evening from last summer, where I sat in the outodoor courtyard of the Hotel San Jose in the heat and drank Micheladas with sweat pouring off the glass. Crystal and Tomasz along with an assortment of other characters played with newspapers and markers and attempted to create our own stories.
Tuesday, January 10, 2012
Saturday, December 24, 2011
Tuesday, December 20, 2011
Friday, December 9, 2011
I am going to pretend it's Lent and give a few things up (even though I don't practice Lent when it is Lent; I don't know how else to justify this without just feeling poor).
Since we bought a car we now have to make car payments. Making car payments is something I've never done, not really. I've always either bought a car I could afford outright *amazing 1987 Honda Civic...anyone remember that death trap (?); or I made car payments to my grandparents for the now deceased Mercury Sable. Making car payments to your grandparents is about the least serious thing you can do...it is not like they send some thugs or collectors after you if you only pay them $50 one month instead of the $150 you promised. They love you, they won't do that.
Guess who will do that? Capitol One.
Things I will be giving up so I'm not so poor:
- Cheese. Oh sure, we can still buy sharp cheddar or pepperjack for our sandwiches, but if you want a nice bucheron or chevre don't come knockin on my door.
- Clothes. Oh god, clothes. I love clothes. So much. I like pants, dresses, skirts, shorts, tanks, blouses, sweaters, I even like vests. I don't do much shopping, I really haven't since I moved to Texas and became poor. Now I'll be doing no shopping. My dream of red pants will never come true.
- Brunch. The ultimate first world indulgence. Mimosas, bloody marys, hot coffee with fresh cream no more. Goodbye Condesa & Taverna...I'll miss your delicious treats.
- The idea that I can buy new furniture soon. Curtains, tapestries and a new couch? I think not.
- Fixing all of my boots. I don't even want to buy new boots, but all of my winter boots need repairs. Guess I'll be picking my favorite pair.
The fact is, and what I'm struggling with...but I do know is this: None of those things matter, not really. All that matters is I have love, endless amounts of love from amazing people in my life who I care about so much and who I love back. Maybe I won't be able to impress those people that I love with my red pants and my awesome boots at my dinner party with a great cheese plate where we talk about how fabulous my vintage couch that I personally re-upholstered is while we reminisce about what a great brunch we had the day before. I think you guys would still like me if I asked you over for Ramen. I make a mean Ramen (and it's cheap!)