Friday, December 9, 2011

learning to be poor...and other first world problems



James does not think I'm poor, he thinks I have extravagant taste for my income level. He may be right, but I still think I'm poor.

I am going to pretend it's Lent and give a few things up (even though I don't practice Lent when it is Lent; I don't know how else to justify this without just feeling poor).

Since we bought a car we now have to make car payments. Making car payments is something I've never done, not really. I've always either bought a car I could afford outright *amazing 1987 Honda Civic...anyone remember that death trap (?); or I made car payments to my grandparents for the now deceased Mercury Sable. Making car payments to your grandparents is about the least serious thing you can do...it is not like they send some thugs or collectors after you if you only pay them $50 one month instead of the $150 you promised. They love you, they won't do that.

Guess who will do that? Capitol One.

Things I will be giving up so I'm not so poor:


  1. Cheese. Oh sure, we can still buy sharp cheddar or pepperjack for our sandwiches, but if you want a nice bucheron or chevre don't come knockin on my door.


  2. Clothes. Oh god, clothes. I love clothes. So much. I like pants, dresses, skirts, shorts, tanks, blouses, sweaters, I even like vests. I don't do much shopping, I really haven't since I moved to Texas and became poor. Now I'll be doing no shopping. My dream of red pants will never come true.


  3. Brunch. The ultimate first world indulgence. Mimosas, bloody marys, hot coffee with fresh cream no more. Goodbye Condesa & Taverna...I'll miss your delicious treats.



  4. The idea that I can buy new furniture soon. Curtains, tapestries and a new couch? I think not.



  5. Fixing all of my boots. I don't even want to buy new boots, but all of my winter boots need repairs. Guess I'll be picking my favorite pair.
So, if you're still reading: Please forgive me for being such an uppity white girl with first world problems.

The fact is, and what I'm struggling with...but I do know is this: None of those things matter, not really. All that matters is I have love, endless amounts of love from amazing people in my life who I care about so much and who I love back. Maybe I won't be able to impress those people that I love with my red pants and my awesome boots at my dinner party with a great cheese plate where we talk about how fabulous my vintage couch that I personally re-upholstered is while we reminisce about what a great brunch we had the day before. I think you guys would still like me if I asked you over for Ramen. I make a mean Ramen (and it's cheap!)

5 comments:

Leslie said...

heard and word, girlfriend.

Sam said...

not brunch! nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Cody Girl said...

I second Sam! Nooooooooo!

Michellecopter said...

ugh i hope i never have to buy another car again so i don't have to make such painful sacrifices. godspeed to you strong woman

Extreme Ash said...

Sam and Cody are right...I don't know that I can really give up brunch.