Thursday, January 7, 2010

Let's Talk About Denim

There's nothing like a good pair of jeans. There is also nothing like a bad pair.

I own both, but I can happily say I'm not the worst offender of the "bad pair". What follows are my current opinions about denim; and what makes a good and/or bad pair.

Let's start with the basics:

1. What is denim?
a) An essential item in your wardrobe.
b) A rough cotton/twill fabric that can be made into many clothing items.
c) The best item of clothing ever.
d) All of the above.
Answer: D

2. Can denim be abused?






















As recently as 2001, then-celebrity-power-couple Britney Spears & Justin Timberlake, committed henious crimes against denim.
This wedding dress just speaks for itself.


3. Can denim be classy ?




















Yes, as Acne & Lanvin proved in 2008. Thank god someone knows what they're doing (I'm talking to you Alber Elbaz).

4. Can denim be sexy?
















Duh. See APC & Serfontaine ^^^
5) Can denim be classic?









levis above^^^ Though no longer made in the USofA, Levis are still considered THE american denim.
Here is what you should & should not be wearing:
Approved Denim (Womens):

^It's all about the wash. Also, skinny and straight leg are still ruling. Skinny isn't meant for every body type (so they say) but I've seen some curvy babes pull off the skinny look in a mega way. If you can't rock the skin-tight, straight leg is the best alternative. Keep it dark (black, dark blue, or grey please). Only wear white denim if you have uber skinny legs.
Non-Approved Denim (Womens):
^As I said, it's all about the wash. LESS is MORE. This shit is over the top uggs. If you don't lead a lifestyle that is active enough to put holes in your denim why are you faking it by buying denim that is full of holes? STOP. Also, flair or boot-cut jeans are a no-no. You might have noticed I included a straight-leg roled up here. It's on the not-approved list due to their completely bland wash. Don't let potential good denim fool you.

Approved (Mens):











^The cut of men's denim doesn't change with as much frequency as womens - or rather, the trends in the cuts. Keep it straight leg, keep it dark or grey. Done and done. Raw and/or raw
selvedged is a plus, but pricier.
Not Approved (Mens):




^Dear Men who wear True Religion. PLEASE STOP.
^^If you are in the following bands: Vampire Weekend, Harlem Shakes, The Knife, or Of Montral you are allowed to wear white denim. Otherwise back off.
^^^ Rips, tears, and pale denim = uggs. Don't do it.
So there you have it. An introductory guide from me to you on denim. I don't think anyone who reads my blog needs it...but after seeing a few non-approved pairs of jeans roaming around on strangers this week I felt compelled to put this out there for the world.

7 comments:

Cody Girl said...

I need new pants :( But I am broke :( fuck I am lame :( At least Im in Korea so no one can see me- like I would never be caught dead wearing the winter wear I have here- and yet its all I have so here I am- shit Ash my wardrobe is dead - Im even gunna think about my shoes-- oh man :( shopping asap which I hate but will love when its done

Extreme Ash said...

I'm cleaning out my closet girl, and leaving a bunch of my winter stuff up for grabs. I'll mark a bag for you...if you come back!

Unknown said...

Denim may be "back" in more ways than one, but I will still not be a fan of what I refer to as....Denim Nation. One time, when I lived in LA, Molly came to visit and we went out for Mexican food, and this entire family, Mom, Dad, Two Daughters, and young son, were dressed in head to toe Denim. Jean on Jean jackets....denim dress shirts etc. When the Valet brought our car Denim Nation Family was waiting our front for theirs. I made Molly take a photo of them, except I was supposed to then, drive away into the LA streets...except I couldn't, Damn LA traffic, so Molly and I just sat there laughing/dying....Denim Family was confused. I should find that photo somewheres....this was pre-digital world for me...
Love the photos in this post Love!

Extreme Ash said...

Denim Nation Family.

HAHAHA. I've been laughing out loud for a solid 5 minutes after reading that story. Priceless.

Scott said...

The male 'Denim on Denim' is what I call the 'Jay Leno working in his car shop/doing stand up' look.

http://cdn-www.greencar.com/images/jay-leno/jay-leno-lead.jpg

Actually just google image search "Jay Leno Denim"

Anonymous said...

my skin is denim.

cristabell said...

i would still rather wear a skirt.