Monday, May 24, 2010

Yakisoba.

You may not know this about me (unless you're Tucker or James) but I really like ramen. In all forms/varieties/prices/flavors/levels of authenticity. I like ramen from amazing tiny restaurants in New York and Chicago, where you can duck in from the rain and get a huge steaming bowl of noodles, meat, egg, veggies, tofu - with the liquid dribbling down your chin as you slurp it from your chop sticks and spoon. I like 13 cent packs of ramen from the Uptown Rainbow when I'm broke and I can't afford to eat like a real adult. I like modifying it by adding veggies and eggs and red pepper if I'm cooking it at home. I buy it now and cook it at work, so I have to forgo the eggs and veggies, but I still like to add the pepper.

Today, friends, today I stepped up my game and ate Yakisoba. Which is basically Maruchan ramen.


The major difference being you cook dried veggies (mostly cabbage and peas) into it. For 77 cents (or something like that from HEB) it was well worth the price. After eating it (which is right now) I feel full, satisfied, and a desire to write about it and ramen in general. Now that I know what the cheap, dried, plastic version of this dish tastes like I'm interested in actually buying fresh soba noodles, cabbage, peas, onions, and carrot and making it myself. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

Free Wallpapers, Apps, And Art Insight said...

I fell in love with this fine noodle after spending a year in japan. I was never much a noodle person before because a quick stop noodle house isn't as easy to come by in Austin or maybe I have just been to busy to find the spot. This post brings back memories though.