Monday, April 12, 2010

SXSW '10 (part deux)

There was more to sxsw than big butts and whataburger (not much more though). Here's some of the rest:



Stoic gentlemen^^^

Thursday Tucker and I went to the Cedar St Courtyard and saw Minus the Bear and Uffie. Neither was as good as I would have liked, but for free, outside on a beautiful day with Roomie; I can't complain. We went to Fader Fort after and saw Chew Lips which was as good as I hoped. I don't know if these pics are from that day or not, but we're at Fader in them, probably drinking lots of free drinks.


and another ^

One of my favorite photos, surprise public passion in the background...bonus!


Friday was a bit scattered. I think everyone was a bit burned out from Thursday night and the chaos in general. Why would we be burned out? Well.
1) We caught a bit of Jonah Matranga at Plush during the day. My babe and I slowed danced...it was the sweetness.
2) After we saw Chew Lips at Fader, Fucked Up played. I could have cared less, but some of the dudes were pretty psyched. They got all jazzed and ready to go out for more.
3) We decided to head over to Shangri-La (one of my fave bars on the east side).
4) On our way there we overheard GZA of Wu notoriety and Tucker and Sam Welch promptly hopped the fence (sorry Zoe!). The rest of us headed to Shang and waited for the story.
5) According to them it was "fucking mind blowingly epic." So there you have it. EXCEPT. Not an hour later we hear rumors that GZA is inside Shangri La (we were sitting outside on the patio). WTF? THEN...as we're leaving, Tucker decides to buy a hot dog. And another, for Mr. Bill Murray, who just, you know - kicks it with GZA at ShangriLa. Remember that flick Coffee & Cigarettes? Remember who was in a vignette together? RZA, GZA, and Mr. Bill Murray. Here is a really short, really rad article my friend Zoe wrote about meeting GZA & Mr. Murray at sxsw (cute pic too).
P.S. Bill Murray was bartending at Shang as well. And he's a mustard kinda guy.
6) I can't quite remember the order of events, but I know we ended up at Plush again at some point to watch Look Mexico play. I made the mistake of buying Rachel a shot. That really didn't work out so well.
7) We walked over to Silhoutte for some BRLSQ dance party action, ft. Cubic Zirconia. That walk took quite a long time (see above: buying Rachel a shot). So by the time we got there it was a full-on rawking rompus.
After all of that we were a bit mixed up by Friday. The boys had a couple shows to play, so Tucker and I met up with intentions of catching jj (didn't happen) and lissie again (missed her by 20 minutes). We went to the Camel loft, were we missed Lucero by 10 minutes, but we did get to see someone. I don't remember who know, but I know I was hyped. Tucker? James? A little help here.
We sort of wandered a bit, and then I think we headed over to the French Legation to catch xx. We ran into Spencer, Sam, Zack and Gob and started making our way over to Fader for The Very Best instead...who were nearly The Very Best of the weekend. If you haven't listened to them, do it here.
I don't know what else we did Friday night. Anyone?
Saturday. Windy. Gray. Wet. Suck.
We got up early and went to Rachel Ray's BBQ at Stubb's. Free food, weak drinks (free) and free music (that was mostly ok). Bob Schneider (great), Rachel Ray's husband's band (suckfest.com/suck), Dr. Dog, Jakob Dylan & Neko, and She & Him.

Dr. Dog @ Rachel Ray's party at Stubb's.
We pretty much did that all day, and it was pretty great. We caught Foot Patrol and that was amazing. Haha. They rule. We all just relaxed after, and then kicked it into overtime for a dance party at Plush.



Sunday. Boo Hiss. The day I was dreading all week. The Last Day.

Wait a mintue. Does this girl work for American Apparel? No effing way ^^^

Sunday was beautiful, so we went to the trailer park for tacos.

Favorite photo of the week ^^^





Taco Time.
***Please keep in mind: This all happened weeks ago and I was drinking a lot during this time. If these details are not 100% spot on, please forgive me.

3 comments:

james taylor said...

Frank Smith.

Extreme Ash said...

Duh. Thank you. They were really great.

Unknown said...

::Sigh:: god you people are beautiful.
Seriously unfair amounts of attractiveness.

Happy to see smiling faces of those I miss dearly :)
Thanks for posting all the photos you do Ash-makes those of us far away feel more connected than we actual are. (or at least I feel this way).

2) Dr. Dog I love. Been listening to their new album all week.

C) This might be because I'm alone in Hong Kong in my hotel bed but I have a lump in my throat b/c I miss you.

4) Hope all is well with you lovely!
<3