Thursday, April 8, 2010

SXSW 10

Unlike Roomie, I didn't take 10,000 photos (I made that number up) during sxsw. I wish I had.

It was an absolutely
insane
amazing
sleep-deprived
Whataburger
boozy
music-y
full of friends week.

Sunday (a couple days before music sxsw officially started) we had Sunday Dinner (Austin Edition). Grilled burgers and turkey burgers by our pool with Rachel (who I work with), our friend Ryan, Crystal, Tomas and their roomie Ben; Jenn, me, James, and Erin & Ellen (two very sweet ladies we met through James). After we all went up to Beerland to catch a few bands James had booked...Brother/Ghost & Zorch. We also wanted to see this girl Ryan had made out with a few nights before that he told us about. She flaked.

Monday I went and saw Little Dragon play at Emo's with my friend Jill. I didn't get 1 good photo, see here are 2 bad ones that are still pretty.

Tuesday I could hardly contain my excitement as it was the day everyone was getting to town.
Tucker, Sam, Ryan, Hicks, Mikey, Travis, Kyndra, Espada, David, Nick, Sam Welch, Gob, Spencer, Katie, Christian, Jesse, Tito, Danell. and on and on and on and on. SO many people.

That morning I went to one of my station's broadcasts...saw Ashley Greene do an interview, watched The Sheila's and Bob Schneider (rad local bands) and drank too much coffee. Went to work, and then finally escaped.

Ended up at The Parlour, cause this band I've heard of was playing a show.

Also got to watch Guns of Navarone, which is a fantastic band that James manages. Super good dudes, really talented.
Wednesday:


Espada and So Gold played the Wednesday day show at Beauty Bar. I was only there for a little bit, but it was great.
Prior to Beauty Bar on Wednesday I stumbled upon Ms. Lissie at the Paste party. Promptly called Tucker and made him come over. It was really lovely.
After that we walked over to Plush together to catch these goons for a day show. We missed Military Special and We Became Actors, seriously bummed I didn't get to watch either of those great bands.


Mayhem Wednesday night. It was like a miniature dose of burn-out from their time on the road and the chaos of the first day of south by being over. I really thought everyone was going to punk out early. Instead, we took over Red Fez for a mega dance party. I've got no photographic proof, but it was dance craze. Thanks to Kellen for saying "Damn, these Minnesota kids know how to party."

So. That was Day 1 (and pre-south-by).

No comments: