Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Extreme Ash Turns 100!

That's right. This is Extreme Ash's 100th blog. Never mind that I'll go two weeks without an update and then post three times in one day - it doesn't matter how we got here - just that we made it.

So, Mike is pretty much the only one who cares what my multiple countdowns were; if you haven't figured most of them out I'm going to say you probably don't pay too much attention to my ramblings (and I don't necessarily blame you).

  1. Obvious - it's 2008! Just because we rang in the New Year in our basement with Merlot (the champagne froze...can it even do that!) doesn't mean it wasn't great in its own way.
  2. Extreme Ash turns 100! Ok - I didn't elude to this at all in previous posts...but if you really cared you would be keeping track on your own.
  3. My BFF is leaving. Tomorrow. On a jet plane. Don't know when she'll be back again. At least we had one more dance party-tear feast with bon-bon before she's off to make her millions.
  4. I am going to Puerto Rico. There is some dispute on the actual day of departure. Sarah is claiming the 10th - I was convinced the 11th. Since I can't find my itinerary I guess I'll have to trust her.
On another note - now that the countdowns have been revealed...it is time for my list of things in 2007 that were either great, I'll miss, or somehow impacted me...in no particular order. I don't know how long this will be, but since EA is 100 I feel I've got to make it matter. Enjoy.

  1. Dance Dance Revolution. 2007 will forever be known as the year I got my dance on. This summer was a high note, with TML rocking most of MPLS' socks off. The return of d-bags to the city with school sessions brought about a let-down of sorts...but don't let that confuse you for a minute. 2007 was all about the dance party.
  2. Tum Rup Thai. This joint in Uptown kills it on the fried rice tip. If you haven't had the jasmine fried rice (no tomatoes, add cashews, 2 star) then you are blowing it. I think Mike will make an arguement for the Sriracha fried rice and Sam will claim pineapple is where it's at. Any will do.
  3. Iowa City. Sam McGuire. Cutty. Mitch. A frantic search for a baby Sean Preston. Some of the best Mexican food. Halloween shenanigans. Nuf said.
  4. Ok - here's an "impacted me 2007." Two of my favorite authors passed away in 2007 - Madeleine L'Engle and Kurt Vonnegut. These authors impacted the way I thought/think about a lot of things and helped cement my love for literature. Here's a toast to their genius.
  5. Mike & I moving in together. NE is my home. It hasn't been all sugar and spice - but it has been everything nice.
  6. The year music meant a lot to me again. Also - the year of my "rediscovery" of music I love. Tegan & Sara, M.I.A., Girl Talk, The Pierces, you are all great - but my re-love of Bad Religion, Death Cab, Saves the Day, and many others has also been so great.
  7. Living with Jen & Sarah...in dinkytown? Yeah...so the only time I lived in dinkytown/Marcy Holmes was after I was done with college. But when you have two amazing ladies like that, well, location doesn't matter.
  8. My Keyboard! My parents didn't quite understand my request for a keyboard (especially since I don't know how to play piano) - but they indulged me for Christmas. Now I have a keyboard to rival the best of them. Next step - keytar?
  9. Many a happy memory with Stacy. I don't know what I would have done without you girl. Looks like I'm going to have to move to Miami. Hablo espanol.
  10. Realizing 2007 is the year a lot of friends are growing up - and not deciding if I'm ready for that. Engagements, marriages, babies - oh my! Congratulations to some of my favorite people...thanks for being responsible so I can just rock out at dance parties for a while longer.
  11. My brother. That's right. The little bro held it down in 2007 in a big way. He turns 21 on February 14th and I can't wait. Now maybe we can go out even more!
  12. Mazatlan. (Duh - right) This year we had even more friends (and we even made new friends) and it was an all-around great time. Except for those frantic moments walking back to the hotel on the boardwalk - Mike, Stacy - anyone remember that? ;)
  13. The great chilaquile search of Minneapolis. I don't think a single place came near El Shrimp Bucket, but Los Dos Puertos in NE came as close as any. Thanks Los Dos.
  14. Girl Talk & M.I.A. shows at first ave. I'm grouping these together because I didn't have to pay to go to either! And of course - they were both really, really fun.
  15. Arizona for Thanksgiving. Not only had I never been to AZ, I had never spent a holiday with Mike's family. AZ was great - absolutely beautiful, and Mike's family was awesome (as usual). No complaints...oh yeah, just one.
  16. The beach. I spent a ton of time at the lake(s) this summer and I am hyped. Just because you work 50+ hour weeks doesn't mean you can't have a life. Right?
  17. Us Weekly. That's right. I said it. I am hyped on shitty gossip rags. Blame it on the beach.
  18. Meltdowns. Paris, Nicole, Britney, Lindsey. I'm sure there were more. I know it's sad, but it is so much entertainment it is unbelievable. I just have to say - if any of you ladies need a new PA, well, just give me a shout.
  19. My cabin. So it takes four hours to get there. Once you're there you are so psyched. I'm glad to say I got to make it up a couple times this year...and it was worth every hour in the car.
  20. Chicago. I had never been to the windy city and I'm excited to say it lived up to my expectations completely. We stayed with Lisa and Lulu and met Josh for like a minute. Great food, great shopping, tons to see and do - wish we had more time! Awesome experience in the Hancock tower - watching that storm roll in and feeling the building sway (and seeing Mike turn green) was priceless.
  21. Having this blog. Ok - so it actually started in 2006 (I think) but 2007 I really got hyped on the blog. So lame. I know it. But I'm pretty lame sometimes.
  22. Working downtown Minneapolis. You don't know what you got until it's gone. Now that I'm working in Bloomington I miss dt so much, it's kind of hard to believe.
  23. Biking. I love having a bike (even though it is incredibly heavy) - it looks cool and we all know that's what really matters. There was a "perfect sunday" this summer when we biked from NE to DT to Uptown and back. Hit the Barnes & Noble downtown, picnic at calhoun, and then desert and drinks at Lucia's. Does it get any better I wonder?
  24. PTO. In the real world (the one that sucks your soul out sometimes) they pay you to take time off. Suckers.
  25. Food. If you haven't figured out that I love food you're just stupid. Not that I need more ways to sit on the internet - but I'm pretty hyped on the idea of starting a food/booze site that pretty much centers on my love for booze. And with correspondents in Miami, NYC, Boston, Chicago, Puerto Rico - and yes - even Iowa City...it won't be long before we've gone global. That is - if I can convince someone to help me set the damn thing up.
I know there are going to be a lot of addendums to this post - but right now I'm calling it quits. There are 25 things I'm either hyped on, felt touched by, or just plain wanted to write about. So I hope I've given you some enjoyment these past 100 posts (and the past couple of lists). They sure have given me some fun.

No comments: