Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The city that slept now roars

Too many people have been moving away from Minneapolis for my taste...the outward migration of close friends has hit me harder than I think even I could have expected. Funny thing, because since I was 16 years old I've been thinking of other places to live. First it was San Diego with Taylor, then it was Seattle, then Portland, then Chicago, then New York, then San Diego again, then Chicago again. Most recently I was almost persuaded to move to Miami...thank god that didn't happen, and there are current schemes to get me to NYC. I miss my friends, I wish they were here, and I still want to leave...but I'm just not ready. This city surprises me every spring, and I think I'm ready to see what it has to offer in 2008. It's been a long, hard, cold winter...and even though I had some escapes (Puerto Rico, Miami, and Orlando) it was still difficult to endure. There have been some huge changes in my life, and if you're reading this it's probably pretty apparent what those are...good thing I paid attention in school; because spring and summer have pretty significant meanings...and I think it's some of the best timing I could have asked for. Thank you - to all of my friends - you are amazing. To those who are here...let's get ready for best summer ever...it's about to get real. For those who aren't; I've probably already got trips planned or in the works to hang out in your new hoods...who knows, maybe you'll convince me to stay? But not until summer's over.

7 comments:

Sam McGuire said...

Wow. I also see you forgot to mention your insatiable desire to move to Iowa. It's ok. Give in.

cynthia said...

It is okay, you can move with me to New York...

if that happens...

Jen Kuhn said...

not to brag....but killer pic w/ the post. :)

Mr. Gerbik said...

It's hard not to hate it here sometimes, and for that same reason, my entire family has ghosted on Minnesota, with the exception of my little bro, who, just like me, actually grew up here. But he's just entertaining thoughts of moving back. OK. Neither of us are from here, but...

I've been a proponent of people moving away to reach for their dreams and aspirations, but damn, even when my brain says what is actually right, my cliche-ass heart says that they should never move away because I need them here. Because I for one would prefer to travel my ass off but retain Minneapolis as my home base. I and for many will call my cliche-ass heart selfish. And that it is.

I could give a roll call of people that shouldn't move just because I need proximity, but, move on fools. Something or other makes the heart grow fonder, right?

Anonymous said...

other cities are highly overrated, unless you are talking about waterloo, iowa

Extreme Ash said...

wow...two votes for Iowa...I feel a strong presence from my southernly neighbor.

bona roba said...

If you moved to Iowa you would be the hottest chick there by far!!! At least by like 5 million percent. Those odds seem pretty good to me. When I move to Canada I expect you to visit me every day.
As for best summer ever...my god I hope soo....maybe this will be the summer when camping actually happens.