Friday, February 13, 2009

Family


I believe most of you know that my family learned my grandmother, Carol, was diagnosed with a brain tumor on Christmas Eve.  Today is her 67th birthday, tomorrow is my brother's 22nd birthday, and the end of this month marks my quarter century of life.  

The news of her "illness" was a huge blow to me.  My parents had me at an early age, and my mom and I lived with my grandparents when I was very young.  My earliest memories include my grandma;  at the pool at her house, in the kitchen, or of her dog Muffin (who I hated).  Throughout my childhood my grandmother was there for me in ways I both can and can't describe.  She picked me up from school every Wednesday for years to bring me to dance classes, and then we'd stop at the Rainbow Cafe after for potato soup or a cheeseburger.  For a long time everyone thought she was my mom (a compliment she never tired of).  

When I was a little older she and my Grandpa lived in the coolest house (from an eight-year old point of view).  They had cable, they had a hot-tub inside their house, they had a basement with a bar, and a bathroom full of my aunt's old makeup.  It could not get better.  I would create a "menu" at the bar, which often included cheetos, oreos, and string cheese that I had taken from my grandma's kitchen.  Then I would make my brother, my cousin Kate, and Grandma come downstairs and buy these things from me.  And she would.  She would pay me for her food.  If that isn't love - well...

Other random memories include playing on the swingset in that yard, watching The Wizard of Oz a thousand times, and watching Nickelodeon and The Incredible Hulk.   I remember searching for Easter eggs in that yard for what seemed like hours...and I swear I remember helping my Grandpa find mole-holes in the lawn.  I was a strange child.

We used to have a tradition for holidays - every Thanksgiving and Christmas my Grandpa would pull out the old shoulder-top camcorder and I would ham it up and explain that it was "Christmas, 1991" or "Thanksgiving, 1998" or whatever.  I don't know if we ever watched the videos, but that's something I miss.  

Anyway - I'm rambling, as I do...I originally started this post because I was on the CaringBridge website trying to find the time of her birthday party tonight and I saw a poem that I wanted to share; which was written by my Great-Grandfather (my Grandpa's dad).  I dont' know if my mom, my aunt, or my uncle posted it on the CaringBridge site - but one of them did - saying that it reminded them of their parents.  It's simple, and that might be why it is so appropriate.

My grandparents are human.  They've had their share of fights, and they've even separated once or twice maybe in the distant past...but they've always come back to each other.  My Grandpa has been hit very hard with this news - and it hurts to watch people you love suffer - so that might be another reason I like the poem.  You wouldn't suffer this much if you didn't love the person so completely.  


My Love - by Edgar Johson

I've had so many beautiful dreams
While sleeping sweet and sound
But when I returned to reality
My dream could never be found.

I thought my dream was perfect 
til we met that happy day
When I found to my great delight
You were sweeter in every way.

But now I've found you, beautiful girl
You have so many charms
When I press a kiss upon your lips
And hold you in my arms.

Now that I've found the one I love
so tender, soft and sweet
And when I hold your hand in mine
Life seems to be complete.

A beautiful game, they call it love
That only two can play
I only hope that I play it right
So you'll think of me each day.

Love's light gets so much brighter
When you seal your lips to mine
Our bond of love eternal
That no one else can bind.
       
Thanks friends - needed to get that rambling off my chest. 

5 comments:

Bruisey said...

*love*

Anonymous said...

okay, that was actually from me
i was apparently signed in under my friend's account.

so, *love*

Scott said...

This post was starting to get me choked up.

terese said...

that hurts. it is so sweet. im so sorry that you are seeing the ones you love suffer!

Extreme Ash said...

I just want to say thank you to everyone for the good thoughts...they've been coming in to me in all forms and I really appreciate it.

love you all.
ash